Study abroad

Students who would like to spend a semester abroad during their studies in order to expand their professional and personal skills in an international environment and improve their future career prospects are advised and supported by the HFR, in particular by the internationalisation officers of the individual degree programmes and the International Office of the HFR. The third and fourth semesters of the BSc programmes and the second and third semesters of the MSc programmes are particularly suitable for studying abroad. The following information should help you to plan your stay abroad successfully.

Personalised advice

You should always coordinate a possible stay abroad with the internationalisation officer of the individual degree programme and the contact persons in the International Office. You should start planning your study abroad programme a year in advance.

Recognition / crediting of credit points

The Lisbon Convention regulates the recognition of degrees and partial credits obtained abroad. In principle, comparable credits earned abroad will be recognised at the HFR.

It is desirable to acquire as many credit points as possible at the foreign university you attend in order to avoid exceeding the standard period of study. You can make up for individual (partial) modules not offered abroad. Plan this in good time with the relevant programme directors and the subject or module coordinators.

Study agreement

Please complete the document "Study Agreement for a Study Abroad Programme" and have it signed by the lecturers.

Learning Agreement

A Learning Agreement concluded in advance between you, the home university/sending institution (at the HFR, the head of the degree programme) and the host university/host institution guarantees recognition of the credit points earned abroad.

Study at a partner university

Select a suitable partner university for your degree programme.

Find out early on about suitable courses and semester dates at the partner university. The internationalisation officers of the individual degree programmes are responsible for providing specialist advice and information to students who wish to study or complete an internship abroad. Discuss with them the selected courses and the recognition of the work to be completed abroad.

After the consultation with the internationalisation officer, fill in the Learning Agreement, have it signed by the programme director and hand in the signed form together with the application documents for funding to the International Office South Wing Room 24/2.

The International Office nominates you at the partner university. The subsequent application process takes place between the partner university and the student.

Study as a free mover

If you would like to study at a university with which the HFR does not cooperate, you can apply to the selected university as a free mover. Find out about the admission requirements and application procedure for free movers on the homepage. Find out about the next steps at the International Office South Wing Room 24/2.

Before the stay abroad

Once you have been accepted for a place at the partner university, you can re-register at the HFR as usual and inform the Student Administration Office about the semester abroad.

ELEFAND crisis prevention list (Electronic registration of Germans abroad)

German nationals are advised to register on the "ELEFAND" crisis prevention list of the Federal Foreign Office (, regardless of the country they are visiting and the duration of their stay abroad.


If you are studying outside the EU, make sure you obtain a visa in good time. Check the websites of the respective embassy or consulate. Further information can be found on the website of the Federal Foreign Office under country information.

Insurance cover

It is possible to take out combined health, accident and personal liability insurance through the DAAD group insurance scheme (

Health insurance in the EU: As a rule, you are insured under the social security agreement with the usual national conditions. You will need the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) for your stay abroad. For all other countries, you must take out private international health insurance.

Foreign language skills

In order to be able to study at a partner university abroad, language skills (at least B1 level) are generally required. For an application to California State University, USA, a ToEFL test (Test of English as a Foreign Language) must be taken and a certain score must be achieved. The ToEFL test is submitted with the application documents.

Language tests (OLS, Online Language Support)
Good language skills are an important prerequisite for successful study abroad. The EU Academy provides language courses for all Erasmus+ funding recipients via the following link:

After returning from abroad

Students who receive a Baden-Württemberg scholarship: A form including instructions for preparing the experience report is available on the platform BWS-World in German and English. The experience report must be sent to the International Office by e-mail within four weeks of the end of the scholarship period and uploaded to BWS-World.

Students who receive Erasmus funding: Grantees are required to complete the EU survey at the end of the mobility. The link for the survey is automatically sent to the student's university e-mail address.

Students who receive PROMOS funding: At the end of the funding period, the recipient must submit an experience report (see template on Ilias platform) to the International Office within two months.

Certificate/transcript of records 
Ifyou have studied at a partner university, your certificate/transcript of records is usually sent to the HFR International Office. Once the transcript of records has been received, you will be informed by e-mail that you can collect it from the International Office. Please submit the certificate together with the form "Recognition of achievements abroad" to the head of the degree programme.

HFR students can find all scholarship announcements and forms on the ILIAS learning platform. Information from the administration – International Office.

If you have any questions, please contact:

Anja Hoh
Head of Operations and Erasmus University Coordinator International Office
T. +49 7472/951-208

Tanja Münch
International Office
T. +49 7472/951-285 

Anja Hoh
Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Anja Hoh

Director of International Office

T. +49 7472/951-208
F. +49 7472/951-200

Room: 024.2, south wing

Tanja Münch
Tanja Münch

International Office

T. +49 7472/951-285
F. +49 7472/951-200

Room: 024.2, south wing